In a nutshell: What does it do? Landscape-Shading! Look at the banner image: Most of the snowshader and the rockdetail has been done in Groundwiz. Look at the desert sierras in the images below – groundwiz was used to do the indefinite detail.
Groundwiz by Gugila for 3ds Max has been around for a while and I guess has lost most of its awareness within the 3d-community. Still we at xoio keep on using it – let me tell you why!
To see the benefits of this plugin, let me tell you some personal insights.
- scale independent, with unlimited detail
- renders superfast
- good connection with other shader nodes especially “bump”
- terrain functions as slope, height, etc.
- a lot of features in the trial version.
- integrated mass instancing tool.
- works on many renderers (Vray, Mentalray, Scanline, …)
- few noise options, somewhat similar look.
- no more real further development.
- pro version with few extra features and complicated to set up for mulitple users.