Hi everyone! I ‘m Thomas Deffet, an interior designer and 3D artist from Belgium. I ‘ve created this noncommercial project in my free time to learn new things and improve my skills.
I would like to tell a huge thanks to VWArctlub for giving me the opportunity to introduce myself to all of you and write this making of. The project has different camera angles and I chose to walk you through the steps of the main view.
Making of articles are always a great source of both education and inspiration! Reading them we are able to learn several tips and tricks which are useful for our evolution as 3d artists. But what about an education method from scratch?
LEARN V-RAY comprises various complementary activities and possibilities to ensure continuous and satisfying training.
In this project, I focused on the industrial style and I had a look around the web just to find my source of inspiration I searched for lofts, offices and work spaces in which we can find objects such as tools, helmet, bicycle, etc… in order to have a better idea of what I wanted to do.
Like well explained in the part of « *Learning – Preparing the final image » , I tried to have a linear styles arrangement in my projects. So I tried to create a main dominance color. In this case, I chose the green, the grey and the brown colors. To achieve it, I used different kind of materials like leather, wood, plant and different green objects.
Here is the general setup I’ve used with the linear workflow and the gamma 2.2
I started by adding the basic volumes defining the components: floor, walls, openings and windows. This is also the moment where I usually test the V-ray Physical Camera and the V-Ray lights settings.
I am always trying to create something interesting but like everybody, I often use some 3d models from premade libraries. This is a "bad" reason for the similarity between several visualizations which we see on the forums. In order to create something different, I took time to modify, add details and even create some of them from scratch, just to add my personal touch.
From the beginning to the end, I made a lot of tests and arrangements with the furniture (shell, bench, table and bicycle) and its placement. Once the furniture was placed correctly, I spent time to add details and to create a realistic workspace.
Most of the models that I used are coming from Evermotion, model+model and 3D sky.
I made a mix of “vintage” objects (camera, stamp, typewriter, helmet, bin) and modern one (Mac-book pro, Nike Air-max, skateboard) in order to create an industrial and modern atmosphere in the same time. I’m strongly influenced by the street culture and I usually include in my scene some objects like prints, posters, toys or books that I really appreciate by their design or by the artists which are related to this culture. In order to givemore realism in the scene, I added some details as Photo booth pictures, blanket, messy shoes or crumpled paper.
Here is the result when I mix the objects, plants and prints together.
For the lighting, I’ve used a Vray sun to create the sunset I want and the V-ray light with a skylight portal for the windows. According to me, an HDRI would probably give a more realistic result but it was faster with a V-ray sun and I was satisfied with my lighting during my test render. You can see below the setting for the V-Ray Light and the V-ray Physical Camera.
In some camera views, I used a depth of field effect. At first, I did a test with an DOF pass and the plugin Frischluft but finally, I decided to calculate it directly with Vray camera as I get a better result than created it in postproduction. There isn't a way better than the other one, but it really depends on the scenario.
For the buildings around the scene, I created a map and I put it to a cylinder. I chose a panorama of New York that I downloaded from Google. To get the final result, I removed the sky from the panorama by creating an alpha map in order to let the sky appearing over the buildings. Regarding the sky, I added a VRaySky map into environment slot.
The material was a huge part of this project trying to have a final render as closed as possible to the final image and avoid too much postproduction. I worked on every material to get the correct brightness and color. Most of my models had already a good material. So I worked more on specific materials like Metal, Leather, Glass and Woods. For the bicycle, I unwrapped the handlebar and I used a specific bump map on it.
For the windows, I applied a blurred and dirty map to focus on the scene and not on the exterior. I really like this ‘blurred effect’ because it gives realism to the scene.
I Usually render using ‘Irradiance Map’ and ‘Light Cache’ with moderated settings and without AO pass except sometimes for the depth of field.
However, as it was a personal project and I was not in hurry, I decided to render with ‘Brute force’ instead of ‘Irradiance map’ to have a better quality image even if I knew that the render time was longer. I finally have a good result but the render time was insane as it took hours and hours. It's probably better to do it with a good render farm if you want to use “Brute force” for a commercial project.
In addition, I noticed some light leak around the windows. So I activated the retrace threshold with low value in the light cache setting to avoid it.
Here is the final render using this setting without post-production.
I was quite satisfied with my final render. However, I made some postproduction to correct the Exposition and I also added some Contrast, Saturation and Level in Photoshop in order to get the final result.
Thank you all for reading this making of and I hope that you found this article useful somehow!
Best regards, Thomas!